Become an actor in reforestation with Reforest'Action
BNP Paribas Wealth Management, as part of its socially responsible investment strategy, is proud to be the first financial institution in Luxembourg to join forces with Reforest'Action. Since 2014, BNP Paribas supports Reforest'Action, a pioneer in forest restoration in France and around the world.
Founded in 2010, Reforest'Action is a company that enables individuals and companies to take concrete action in favour of reforestation.
Through its digital platform, everyone can plant trees in 15 countries and see the social and environmental benefits generated by reforestation activities.
Since its creation, Reforest'Action has planted more than 3 million trees with the help of more than 90,000 people, and has generated a positive impact on the living conditions of more than 30,000 people worldwide.
In 2019, Reforest'Action has raised the awareness of more than 1.7 million employees and corporate customers to the challenges of the forest.
TREE PLANTING AND ITS BENEFITS
A COMMITTED BANK...
BNP Paribas has made the fight against
climate change its priority in terms of environmental responsibility.
In order to contribute to the objective
of limiting global warming below of 2°C, BNP Paribas has defined new environmental commitments for 2017
in order to contribute to the transition
to a low-carbon energy system, in line with the Paris Agreement:
- Double support for renewable energies from €6.9 billion in 2014 to €115 billion in loans in 2020 - target already reached in 2018
- Carbon neutral bank since 2017
- Reduce exposure to thermal coal: stop financing coal mining projects or coal-fired power plants, as well as companies linked to these sectors with no diversification strategy
- Develop financial innovation: the Group is one of the world's top 3 issuers of green bonds in euros, top 2 on responsible indices since 2013 and invests €100M by 2020 in innovative start-ups for the energy transition
- Large-scale partnerships to strengthen the redirection of financial flows towards companies most in line with the 2°C scenario, for example with the Carbon Pricing Leadership Coalition
In line with its objective of zero net deforestation by 2020, BNP Paribas is committed to protecting forests as reservoirs of biodiversity and carbon sinks, as well as a place to live
and livelihoods of many populations whose rights must be secured; notably by obtaining their Free, Informed and Prior Informed Consent (FPIC) when developing plantations or infrastructure..
In this context, the Group is committed to:
- Reduce impacts in sectors with negative impacts: BNP Paribas pays special attention to forest protection in its relations with clients operating in the agricultural, palm oil, pulp and paper and mining sectors.
- Protecting forests with High Conservation Values: clients in these sensitive sectors are required to have internal policies in place that strictly protect forests with High Conservation Values and prohibit burning techniques.
- Developing financial innovation: with the ONU Environment Programme, BNP Paribas co-founded the Tropical Landscape Facility (TLFF), which finances sustainable rubber plantation projects for the manufacture of natural rubber in Indonesia.
- Participating in benchmark initiatives:
the Group has joined the act4ature initiative launched by the think-tank "Entreprises Pour l'Environnement", and contributed to the "CDC Biodiversité" working group on the Global Biodiversity Score.